Welcome

Welcome to Peer to Peer, the CAS Peer Advising Blog! Check out our posts for FAQs, advising tips, and current events!

Monday, February 27, 2012

Being a Peer Advisor Part III

I was a freshman during the Peer Advising Program’s inaugural year. My first semester I met with a peer advisor to try and figure out which gen eds to take, which is a question all of us have to deal with at some point. I was completely undeclared at this point, and was overwhelmed by wanting to try out every subject I hadn’t before (anthropology, sociology, etc.) I liked being able to talk on a comfortable level with another student, and it was helpful to get all my questions answered. The program has grown and developed significantly since that first year, and I’m glad to be a part of it this year.

As a senior, it’s great to be able to share my experiences from the past few years with new students. I’ve also had the opportunity to learn more about AU and explore departments in CAS outside my own areas of study. There’s a fantastic sense of community among the Peer Advisors and with the CAS advising staff that makes it a fun and exciting place to work. Alicia and Andrea, our program coordinators, are always supportive and open to new ideas, which give us opportunities to plan and organize new events or enhance the program in other ways. It’s a great opportunity for leadership development. There are also benefits to working on campus at a job that recognizes that we’re students and works with us to accommodate class schedules and activities. Being a Peer Advisor is an interactive and engaging campus job, and I encourage you to consider applying to join the program next year!

-Emma Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment