Welcome

Welcome to Peer to Peer, the CAS Peer Advising Blog! Check out our posts for FAQs, advising tips, and current events!

Friday, February 24, 2012

Being a Peer Advisor Part II

When I first applied for this job I was very excited about the prospect of having a job where I could help other students through the process of picking a major and enjoying their academic experience at AU. My freshman year, I probably changed majors every week; by my sophomore year, it was only every other week. It was a tough process, but I enjoyed it; I liked exploring different fields and using the resources on campus to do so, which is why when I learned about the CAS Peer Advisors, I got very excited for the job.
                Now that I am a Peer Advisor (and have finally chosen a major) I very much enjoy helping others try to make the best of this process. However, as I came to realize, there is more to being a Peer Advisor than just meeting other students in similar situations to yours. There are many things that go into Peer Advising, and many reasons why I love this job. One of my favorite ones, though, is the work environment. From the CAS Advisors to the other peer advisors and the CAS Dean’s office, the ‘Battelle People’ are welcoming and great to be around. While the atmosphere is relaxed, flexible and fun, there is usually a lot going on and interesting things to do. It is a very dynamic job and you are continuously learning new things (#CASAcademicsWonk, sorry I had to say it).
                Being a Peer Advisor is a fun job for many reasons, but I would definitely put the office environment among one of the top. Over the last ¾ of a year, I have really enjoyed being part of the CAS Advising team, our office hours, staff meetings and kind of living in Battelle. So, if you are looking for a great work environment, this is certainly one.

-Triana Tello Gerez

No comments:

Post a Comment